The 2008 Bearspaw Open

Presented with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police - A Career Nowhere Near Ordinary.


Organization update#1

So where does the Circuit Mayhem stand as of today?

Everything is still tentative, but certainly things are becoming more solidified. I've currently got 2 potential race locations. I'm in touch with the City of Calgary Roads Department about permits for Option #1 (preferred option), and I'm feeling reasonably confident that we should get approval. The course for this option is pretty cool. Slightly over 5k per lap of rolling pavement with a nice little climb to the start/finish, and a super technical >90 degree right-hand corner leading into the climb off a high speed downhill straightaway. This technical feature will place a premium on being at the front of the race and bike-handling skills.

Option #2 is outside of the City in the Bragg Creek area. I've started getting into contact with the Province in regards to the roads I want to use for this course. The MD (Municipal District) were my initial point of contact, and they were super to deal with. I've also been in touch with the RCMP's Southern Alberta District HQ, and they have also been very positive to work with. I'm hoping to have a better feel for the chances of using this course within the next week or two.

As an aside, the Alberta Bicycle Association (ABA) has published an excellent resource guide for race organizers this year. It's got great information and some solid planning ideas. It's been invaluable to me so for, and I can't recommend it enough. Check it out if you have any aspirations of hosting a race!

Labels: ,

0 Responses to “Organization update#1”

Post a Comment